Organized by 500 Startups, Geeks on a Plane (#GOAP) is an invite-only tour for startups, investors, and executives to learn about burgeoning technology markets worldwide. This September, the Geeks are finally came to Russia. They spent four days in Moscow, meeting startups, geeks and investors, learning about the trends in internet, mobile, and other tech platforms, and gaining insight into the Russian markets, demographics, and business models.
Digital October hosted a series of events with the Geeks, including the conference Landing Page and Moscow Startup Mixer.
Landing Page was organized by Digital October and Foresight Ventures. The conference featured leaders and gazelles of the consumer web, travel, gaming, e-commerce, mobile apps, enterprise solutions, digital media and other fast-growing areas of the Russian IT market.
GOAP events at Digital October were sponsored by the Russian Venture Company and Beeline.
Dave McClure: VC Evolution (Geeks Got Next)
Dave McClure (500 Startups) and Mikhail Tsygankov (RVC) Fireside Chat
Landing Page Agenda:
9:00—10:00 Welcome Coffee
10:00—10:15 Opening remarks
Dmitry Repin (CEO, Digital October), Andrey Kazakov (Managing Partner, Foresight Ventures)
10:15—10:45 The Runet in Numbers
Karen Kazaryan (Chief Analyst, RAEC)
10:45—11:15 Russian Consumer Web
- Aynur Abdulnasyrov (Founder & CEO, LinguaLeo)
- Egor Rudi (Co-founder & CEO, Eruditor Group)
- Ekaterina Artemyeva (Brand Manager, Gfranq)
- Moderator Dmitry Repin (CEO, Digital October)
11:15—11:45 Russian Travel
- Marina Kolesnik (Founder & CEO, OKTOGO)
- Alex Zaretsky (Co-founder & CEO, Travelata)
- Roman Peskin (CEO, DealAngel)
- Moderator Anton Abashkin (Head of PWC Accelerator in Russia)
12:00—12:30 Russian Gaming
- Sergey Orlovsky (Founder & CEO, Nival)
- Victor Kisly (CEO, Wargaming)
- Diana Moldavsky (CRO, ZeptoLab)
- Alisa Chumachenko (Founder & CEO, GameInsight)
- Moderator Andrey Kazakov (Managing Partner, Foresight Ventures)
12:30—13:00 Keynote by Pavel Cherkashin, a serial Russian Entrepreneur and Angel Investor
14:00—14:45 Mobile Applications
- Victor Markelov (Product Director, VimpelCom)
- Filipp Shubin (COO, Synqera)
- Dmitry Martynov (Senior Program Manager, Parallels Mobile)
- Moderator Nick Mikhailovsky (serial entrepreneur)
14:45—15:30 Digital Media
- Sergey Kornikhin (General Producer, ivi.ru)
- Dasha Lyalina (CEO, SVOY)
- Andrey Vasilevsky (Founder & CEO, Looky.ru)
- Alina Belkovskaya (Executive TV Producer, Digital October Group)
- Moderator Bas Godka (Acrobator)
15:30—16:00 Russian Enterprise
- Grigoriy Povarov (General Manager & OEM, Acumatica)
- Dmitry Valyanov (Co-founder & President, Bitrix)
- Alex Tkachman (Co-owner, MB Technologies)
- Moderator Arseny Tarasov (Board Member, Fidesys and First Virtual)
16:00—16:15 Coffee break
16:15—16:45 Keynote by Dave McClure (Founding Partner, 500Startups)
16:45—17:10 Russian Seed and Early Stage VCs
- Arkady Moreynis (Founder, Glavstart)
- Ksenia Yolkina (Head of Yandex.Factory)
- Sergey Karpov (Managing Partner, Addventure)
- Andrey Kazakov (Managing Partner, Foresight Ventures)
- Mikhail Tsygankov (Chief Investment Portfolio Officer, RVC)
- Moderator Dmitry Repin (CEO, Digital October)
17:10—17:30 Fireside Chat by Mikhail Tsygankov (Chief Investment Officer, RVC) and Dave McClure (Founding Partner, 500Startups)
17:30—19:00 Joint Reception with the VC Club and Media Club 'Venture Insights'
Geek-on-a-Plane East Europe Participants:
Dave McClure, Founding Partner, 500 Startups
Dave is a famous Silicon Valley investor, founder of 500 Startups (leading investor + startup accelerator with 350+ portfolio companies worldwide), has 90,000+ twitter followers, has been covered extensively by Wall Street Journal, NY Times, CNN, BusinessWeek, Fortune, Forbes, TechCrunch, CNBC, FastCompany, + many others
Aaron Batalion, Co-Founder & CTO, LivingSocial
Co-Founder of LivingSocial, one of the largest Daily Deal sites in the U.S.
Jon Lombardo, Social Media Manager, General Electric (GE)
GE is one of 500 Startups’ partners, a deep investor in Russian markets, and the 3rd largest company in the world. Jon leads GE’s social media across all platforms.
Christen O’Brien, Partner & GM – Business Development, 500 Startups
Founding team of 500 Startups, one of the world’s leading startup accelerators; Manages partnerships & external programs like GOAP
Taavet Hinrikus, Founder, TransferWise
1st employee & former Strategy Director for Skype, now founder of a startup that makes converting & sending money internationally easy.
Jesse Thomas, CEO & Founder, Jess3
Creator of Forbes’ popular “The Zen of Steve Jobs” comic book, Jesse runs a design agency with clients like Facebook, Google, & more
Peter Corbett, CEO, iStrategy Labs
Award-winning digital agency with clients such as GE, Disney, Ford, AT&T, Intel, Microsoft, Nasdaq, + many others
Rupesh Chatwani, Investor, European Bank for Reconstruction & Development
Largest financial investor in its regions of operations (including Eastern Europe), fosters transition to market economies. Owned by 63 countries, the European Union and the European Investment Bank.
Natalia Burina, Group Product Manager, eBay
One of the largest e-commerce sites in the world
Bill Boebel, Director, Capital Factory
Founder of Webmail.us which was acquired by Rackspace; Now creating a 22,000 square foot incubator in the heart of Austin, TX
Eric Santos, CTO, ApontaOftetas Regrupe
Local offers branch of Apontador, the most popular local search engine in Brazil with 15 million unique monthly visitors
George Kellerman, Venture Partner, 500 Startups
Former Yahoo Japan executive who now invests on behalf of 500 Startups, one of the leading seed funds based in Silicon Valley but with 350+ portfolio companies spanning the globe
Piotr Wilam, CEO, Innovation Nest
Co-founder of the largest Polish website (Onet.pl) + founder of Pascal Publishing House (leading educational publisher in Australia), now runs a high-profile Krakow-based seed fund and incubator
Jason Fraser, Founder, LUXr
In collaboration with best-selling author Eric Ries, LUXr is a user-experience agency that creates practical US workshops & tools for entrepreneurs
Marvin Liao, CMO, Symbio
Former commercial director of EMEA Markets for Yahoo, now Chief Marketing Officer for leading outsourced R&D / Product Development firm
Brandon West, Developer Evangelist, SendGrid
A 500 Startups portfolio company, SendGrid is one of the most popular cloud-based email services today
Christopher Schultz, Founder, Flatstack
Serial entrepreneur & Founder of Launchpad, a popular tech incubator in the U.S. Currently the founder of a Kazan-based web development firm.
Dave Troy, Founder, Shortmail
Serial entrepreneur who sold a company to AOL and is now the founder of an email service.
Heather Russell, CEO, Rinkya
Founder of largest online auction site for Japanese products, now launching in London.
Jon Bradford, CEO, Springboard
Founder of accelerators across Europe including London (Springboard), Tallinn (Startup Wise Guys), Sofia (Eleven.bg) and Moscow (Texdrive)